Example of Essential Duties
The following duties are considered characteristic but not inclusive, and are examples only. Specific assigned duties will differ depending on the needs of the department.
• The Accounting Technician performs specialized and detailed technical work in the preparation, reviewing and processing of financial records and other related documents. Depending on assignment, this work will include utility billing, accounts receivable, business licenses, cash entries and deposits or payroll and accounts payable.
• Review various documents and reports related to area of assignment for accuracy, completeness and compliance with departmental policies, laws and other regulations.
• Compile, research, and prepare a variety of periodic and special reports related to area of assignment.
• Maintain records, databases and files relative to area.
• Calculate and reconcile fees, assessments, invoices and other payments.
• Receive and count cash; balance cash drawer.
• Review invoices and payments; or timesheets and make correcting adjustments as appropriate.
• Process and oversee billing statements: coordinate billing processes with other departments; prepare letters for delinquent accounts.
• Perform simple journal entries.
• Coordinate and communicate with outside state and federal agencies, and/or outside vendors.
• Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other City employees and the public using principles of good customer service.
• Foster an environment that embraces diversity, integrity, trust and respect.
• Be an integral team player, which involves flexibility, cooperation and communication.
The Successful Candidate Will Have Knowledge of:
• Principles, practices and theories of financial accounting.
• Recordkeeping requirements.
• Pertinent local, state and federal laws, rules, regulations and requirements.
• Methods and techniques of cash handling and reconciliation.
• Modern office equipment, including computers and software applications related to assignment.
• Business mathematics.
• English usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
The Successful Candidate Will Have To:
• Perform complex and specialized technical accounting work related to an assigned area of City financial function such as utility billing and related customer service, accounts receivable, business licenses, cash entries and deposits, or payroll and accounts payable,
• Observe, identify and problem solve office operations and procedures; understand, interpret and explain department policies and procedures; explain operations and problem solve issues for the public and with staff.
• Maintain detailed and accurate records.
• Enjoy interacting with the public and possess strong phone customer services skills
• Have the ability to juggle and prioritize multiple competing demands at once.
• Perform independent research in carrying out administrative and technical duties as assigned.
• Perform computational tasks and other technical functions with speed and accuracy.
• Compile and reconcile numerical and financial data.
• Receive and reconcile cash according to prescribed cash handling procedures.